Monday, July 7, 2014

This Post is Inspired by The Canaanite Woman in Mathew 15:

This scripture was never one of my favorites.  I would get defensive about it because Jesus called the woman a dog; unfit for even crumbs from the Master's table.  But this past weekend I attended a Camp Meeting service a the SDA Allegheny East Conference in Pine Forge, PA.  The guest speaker was Admiral Barry Black.  Now, I had not been to camp meeting there in about 6 years, but when I heard that Barry Black was speaking, I put on my hat and went to hear him speak.  I was not disappointed.

As the Admiral spoke about the Canaanite women, I felt like her standing there in what felt like Laodicea.  But he took it further as he pointed out her Passionate Prayer that brought her favor.  She was a women not of Jewish heritage, so neglected to approach Jesus in the customary manner. This made the disciples irrate as they asked Jesus to just send her away.  They probably wonder why He was even listening to her.   She didn't know exactly how to express her love and adoration. Jesus didn't answer her.   Then he said he was only sent for the lost sheep of Israel - as was what His disciples believed.  But was that really true?  I think not!  She asked again, I imagine with a bit more humility this time. Lord.  My daughter.  May daughter is possessed by demons.  That's when Jesus turns to her and says 'It is not right to take the children's portion and give it to the dogs."   That's when I get pissed.  He calls the woman a dog.  But this time I read further and watched what actually was happening.  This woman was foreign to the belief,  But she ended up giving him the passionate prayer that he longed for from the Jews.. She doesn't come back at him offended to have been called a dog.  No, she humbles herself and offers worship and displays faith  ".Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table."  Wow.  

Pastor Black said "Jesus marveled at her.  No, she was not OF the faith, yet showed more faith than those born into it!  

 O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.



No comments:

Post a Comment